Saturday, November 9, 2013

Injury Update

Two weeks ago tomorrow, I suffered the most significant injury I've had as an athlete, and probably, ever in my life.  By all accounts, I'm pretty lucky that it isn't more serious or permanent.   It's also lucky that this happened at the very end of the season and I'm not invested in additional events, races, etc.  I was planning on a bit of down time anyway, and while this will be more than I would have liked, I know that I will begin again with renewed enthusiasm and energy.  Mostly, this has just been painful, but within the last two to three days, that has even gotten a bit better.  That is, as long as I don't cough or sneeze (turns out I probably have a cracked rib or two as well).
Although I'm feeling better, I don't have a solid timeline for getting back to S,B,R at this point.  I have a visit with the Ortho in another week and a half at which time I will probably start asking about what rehab will look like.  In the meantime, I get to wear this really funny looking brace (called a figure 8 brace I believe).  It pulls my shoulders back and kind of immobilizes the collarbone a bit.  It is not very comfortable and from the front it makes me look like I'm wearing a child's backpack.  Very awesome!
How can you not look cool with one of these baby's on!
While my collarbone is broken, my spirit isn't.  One thing I am certain of is that I will continue to pursue endurance activities and I even registered for the Boulder Sunrise Triathlon (in June 2014) last week since they had such a good deal on the price ($35 sign up fee and a commitment to raise the same amount by race day).  I hope to select a few more races for 2014 before the end of December as well.   It seems like many events will give you a fantastic deal if you do the early bird registration.
In the meantime, I think another round or two of the Beer Olympics will be in order.  I'm going to call an audible and substitute one of the beers in my challenge for this next one, but more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment