Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Week in Training . . . January 6, 2013

Two loop course on the southwest side of Pueblo

After a "down" week and a successful MAF test on Sudnay to start off this week, it was back to work and back to a regular week of training.  This included a "long run" today which wound up being about 21 miles.  Here's the rundown:

Sunday January 6, 2013: As mentioned this was the updated MAF test for the month.  The total run wound up being about eight and a half miles.  The test portion of the run proved successful.  My average pace per mile has dropped by about 30 to 40 seconds from a month ago.  I'm looking forward to the next test in early February.  8.6 miles; 1hr 21m 42s.

Monday January 7, 2013:  A light day after the MAF test but it was also the first day back at work.  I got up a few minutes early and did 20 minutes of light strength and core training.

Wednesday January 9, 2013:  I got up extra early this morning and headed over to the YMCA, arriving at 5 am when it opened.  I split the workout into 30 minutes on the stair machine and 10 minutes on the treadmill at an 11% grade (walking).  The purpose of this workout was really more about getting up and to the YMCA today, so I can't say that it was especially challenging.  I will continue going for a while (alternating with swimming) so that I can get used to some early a.m. workouts over the course of the winter.    I'm also considering some additional strength training for my legs during the next few weeks which I may incorporate into the a.m. workouts at the Y.

Thursday January 10, 2013:  I was up early again today and managed a 45 minute ride on the trainer before getting ready for work.  I was able to move the resistance up a gear or two and while the cycling is taking a back seat  to running right now, I still think that I'll have a stronger cycling base compared to a year ago. I plan to slowly raise the resistance on the trainer throughout the winter so that when summer does start, I'll be much more used to pushing a bigger gear at a higher cadence.  Plus with a fall triathlon as my other "A" event this year, I'll be able to really concentrate on cycling throughout the summer.  I'm looking forward to notching a couple of 100+ rides during June, July, and August.

Saturday January 12, 2013:  The cold weather started coming on Thursday evening and included an extremely windy day on Friday.  On Saturday morning, the wind was light, but temperatures were in the low teens as I set out for my long run.  And the little wind we had was quite cold.  I was really looking forward to the run however, and the opportunity to try a few of the items that I'd gotten for Christmas including a new pair of Brooks shorts, Injinji socks, and a Hydrapak.  I selected a two loop course out near the Pueblo Reservoir just so I could switch up some of my running.  The trails near the house are great, but I've been running out that way quite a bit so it was nice to do something a little different today.   This course also included a good uphill or two and a bathroom stop near the reservoir.  The shorts and socks were great.  The shorts have a "boxer" style liner and the socks proved to be very comfortable and did a great job of preventing any hot spots or blistering.  Unfortunately, I forgot that the hose on my  Hydrapak would not work very well in the cold weather.  After 30 minutes, the water in the tube was frozen solid which meant no water for the run.  Still, I managed 21 miles after 4 hours and 8 minutes.  I'm glad that I didn't have to run further today, but I do believe that I could have slogged it out for another hour or so.  At this point, a marathon would definitely be within reach.

All in all a good week of training.  I am now less than four months from the CPTR and I know that if I can keep logging a long run each week, I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment