Saturday, December 21, 2013

Racing in 2014


Time to post the racing calendar for 2014.  For the coming year, I hope to do a few more triathlons compared to last year where I only registered for two and was able to finish only one (due to the crash).  But the number one overarching deciding factor this year will be around the budget.  I am hoping to save a little bit of money in 2014 in preparation for a possible push to complete Ironman Boulder in 2015.  With a price tag somewhere around $700.00, I need to save a few bucks to be ready for registration in August.  I'm also looking at volunteering at a few races this year as well.  Always nice to give back to the sport! Here is my tentative plan for 2014.  For this list, I've also rated each of the events using the following criteria:

Likelihood:
Definitely: Already Registered.
Likely: Not registered, but plan to do so very soon.
Possible: Will likely do, but might change due to unforeseen plans, events, etc.
Maybe: Made the list, but may not happen.

Event Cost (assuming early/ regular registration/ volunteer discount):
$$$- Expensive
$$- Reasonably/ Traditionally Priced (costs what you'd expect for event type)
$- Bargain

Event Type:
Triathlon, Road Race, Trail Race, Cycling Event

Race Priority:
A: The "A" race, or focus event for the year.
B: Supports the "A" race or one that requires some training to complete (In other words, not the main event, but one I'll take seriously).
C: Just for fun

Racing Experience:
N: New event for me this year
P: Previous Race Experience
P+: Multiple races of the same event
(Links to Post Event Reports)

Other: 
Something Special about the race

January
We are planning a "non-event" run on New Year's Day this year, but we're still trying to think of a catchy name for it.  The plan is to have a two-option course (3.2 or 5.2 miles) on a mixed pavement/ dirt course.  Afterwards, I want to have Green/ Red Chili available along with some cold beer for runners and friends.  No expectations, just a fun way to start off the year.
Likelihood: Likely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Non-event (run)
Race Priority: C
Racing Experience:  N (Inaugural) 
Other: I always enjoy bringing in the New Year with some kind of run.  Would be fun to share with others.

February
SoCo Runners put on the Valentine Twosome around Valentine's Day in February.  Two person teams run a short relay.  It's really just a family event with a fairly short course (1.6 miles each).  My daughter is interested in doing some races, so I might see if she wants to do this one.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Road Race
Race Priority: C
Racing Experience: N
Other: Any chance to run with my daughter is good enough reason!

March
Spring Runoff: I haven't made a serious attempt at this race for a few years now, and I don't really plan to do so in 2014. I might do this one if my daughter is interested (probably the 5k or 10k).
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $$
Event Type: Road Race
Race Priority: C
Racing Experience: P+
Other: Any chance to run with my daughter is good enough reason!

May
For the last couple of years I've kicked off the year with a marathon or ultra distance race.  Since I have the entire summer to train this coming year, I'm not going to start the spring with anything that intense.  Instead I plan on doing the local Ordinary Mortals Triathlon this year.  It didn't fit into my calendar in 2014 so I'm looking forward to this one.  I'll also plan to do a little pre-race volunteering to do my part.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $$
Event Type: Triathlon (Sprint)
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: P (OMT Race Report 2012)
Other: Hometown event and a reverse order triathlon.


During the Run Portion of the 2012 OMT
Of course I will do the Bolder Boulder again.  I keep forgetting how many years I've done it now, but it's somewhere around 25 or 26 times.  It's been a part of my life since the mid-80's, when I was in the Ninth Grade.  I would imagine that my daughter will want to do this race again as well, so that should be fun.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $$$
Event Type: Road Race
Race Priority: C
Racing Experience: P+ (Bolder Boulder RR, 2012)
Other: This would be about the 26th time I've done this race.

The Bolder Boulder: A Family Tradition since 1986
June
My second triathlon in 2014 will be the Boulder Sunrise Triathlon.  I've actually registered for this one already given the low $35.00 entry fee.  This spring I'll be raising money for the Alzheimer's Association as my charity of choice.  I did the "Sunset" version of this race at the end of August and the heat at the end of the race got to me a bit.  I'm looking forward to doing the event in June and I hope that lower temps will make for a better race.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Triathlon (Olympic)
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: P (Did the Sunset on the same course in 2013)
Other: Fast Course!

The Mountain Top Cycling Club Experience Ride has made it back onto the calendar this year, thanks to its incredibly low price.  For $30, I just can't resist.  It's also a killer workout so I'm looking forward to doing this one again.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost:$
Event Type: Cycling Event (Century Ride)
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: P (MTCC Ride Report)
Other: The best bargain and a beautiful ride.


With 10,000 of Climbing, MTCC puts hair on your heaving chest!
July
My brother has proposed a self-supported 70.3 for July, and I really like this idea as there wasn't a good triathlon race option during this month.  The minimal cost of doing a self-supported event is also appealing.
Likelihood: Likely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Non-Event (Triathlon- 70.3 Distance)
Race Priority: B,C
Racing Experience: N
Other: Great Inexpensive option for the middle of summer.  I think a post race cool down at a local brew pub would be in order!

 Barr Mountain Trail Race:  I'm looking at this one for the following reasons: 1) It's close by (minimal travel required). 2) It looks to be pretty cheap so that might make it worth it.  On the downside, this race can be rather taxing on the body and requires a fair amount of training.  While I would have a fair amount of time to recover, I'll have to see how it would impact my training for September.
Likelihood: Maybe
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Trail Run
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: P 
Other: I like trail racing!

September
 My "A" race this year will be another 70.3 distance event, the Harvest Moon Triathlon  I need some redemption after Austin and a chance to see what I can do at this distance.  I'm fairly confident that I would have done a sub 5:30:00 at that event and so I'll be hungry for this one.
Likelihood: Likely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Triathlon (70.3 Distance)
Race Priority: A
Racing Experience: N 
Other: Need to get the last 70.3 out of my mind!

October
The end to my 2014 season will hopefully be the Blue Sky Trail Marathon outside of Fort Collins.  I like the location and it's a relatively low-cost marathon.  I don't have any aspirations for this one, other than just the chance to finish.
Likelihood: Likely
Event Cost: $
Event Type: Trail Run (Marathon)
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: N 
Other: Good location and a nice way to conclude the 2014 season.

Update:  Unexpectedly, I decided to join my wife and do the Rock n Roll Marathon in Denver in October.  This means that I will have to save Blue Sky for another year.  This will be a completely different Marathon experience, but having the first weekend in October allows me to pursue another one of my passions: Beer.  The Great American Beer Fest takes place in Denver the first weekend of October, so there's an opportunity to do something different.
Likelihood: Definitely
Event Cost: $$
Event Type: Marathon
Race Priority: C
Racing Experience: N 
Other: It will be fun to spend October drinking beer and running!


December
I may decide to finish the year with the Rock Canyon Half-Marathon.  It isn't quite the bargain that it used to be, but I enjoy it as a race, and I kind of like the fact that the weather can be so dramatically different.  It adds an element of surprise to the event.  I couldn't do it this year due to my injury, so I may want to try again in 2014.
Likelihood: Maybe
Event Cost: $$
Event Type: Road Race
Race Priority: B
Racing Experience: P+ (2012 Rock Canyon RR)
Other: A good motivator for the coming year!

Totals:  For those keeping score at home, that's a total of 4 Triathlons (including one self-supported),  6 running events (including one self-supported, a half-marathon, and a marathon), and one century ride.  If I did all of these events (which I won't), the total cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.00 or just under $50/ event.  Not too bad, I'd say.

Volunteer Plans:
As I mentioned, I'm also looking at doing some volunteering this year.  Part of this will support a discounted entry, but I also like the idea of giving some support.  As of right now, I have plans to volunteer for the following events.

Summer Open Triathlon:  I raced this event as a "duathlon" a couple of years back.  This year, I'm going to volunteer which will qualify me for about a $40 discount for my "A" race.  My brother does this event every year so it will be fun to go out and support him.  I will be working the transition area for this one.

Ordinary Mortals Triathlon: I plan on racing this event, but I will also volunteer to do some work before the race as well.  This is our local event and I think it's important for club members to ensure that the event goes well.

Ironman Boulder: I've never been to an Ironman, and since I'm tentatively thinking about going for this one in 2015, volunteering will give me a better idea of what the race is like.  I also think it will be a great motivator for the coming year.

Well, that's the plan for now.  Thanks for Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment