Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Break


Ahh Spring Break!  A good opportunity to do a little "mini camp" and get some extra swim workouts done.  I'm also hoping to kick start my outdoor cycling a bit, as I've only managed to make it outdoors on two occasions so far this year.  I'm hoping that a couple of nicer days weather wise will help with this.
I'm also anticipating that this will be the last week of exclusive Maffetone training.  I have a test lined up for the end of the week, and after that, it will be time to mix in a few hills, as well as some speed work over the next few weeks, in preparation for the Ordinary Mortals Triathlon in early May.  This isn't an "A" race for me, but with only 3-4 triathlons planned for the year, I'd like to have a good race.  My upcoming week looks like this:

  • Monday- Run 9-10 miles as close to Aerobic Threshold as possible (138 bpm).
  • Tuesday- Swim 2000 w/ emphasis on kicking (about 1000 kick drills); afternoon ride of about 20-25 miles
  • Wednesday- Swim 1500 (endurance swim); follow up with ride of 35-40 miles to end of test track and back.
  • Thursday- Swim 2000 (4x500 at increasing pace; start slow and build up pace w/ last 500 being the fastest.)
  • Friday- Maffetone Test #3 (1 mile warm-up followed by 5 miles at A.T.); afternoon (possibly) a short ride of 15-20 miles).

While there isn't anything too intense this week,the volume represents a bit more than I usually complete during a typical work week.  Over the last 9 weeks I've averaged about 5 hours/ week of training whereas this week will be closer to about 9 hours of training.
Starting on Sunday, I'll begin an "official" training plan for an Olympic Distance Triathlon.  I created it using the custom tool on the BT website and I've done some further customization since the web site is limited to providing mileage totals only.  The plan will last about 8 weeks leading up to the Boulder Sunrise Triathlon in early June.  Over Labor Day Weekend last year, I competed in the Sunset version of this race, and while it went well, it was exceptionally hot during the run, and I didn't have as good of a race as I'd hoped.
In addition to being in early June, the Sunrise race starts a bit earlier in the morning, which I hope will translate into somewhat cooler temperatures by the run time. Moderate temperatures should result in me being able to hold a faster pace.  At any rate, it will be interesting to see how having a more focused plan will impact the race.  I'm excited to try and open things up a bit and work more on speed and hills. It will still comprise only a portion of my training, but the mixture will be a good change of pace.
As I write this, I'm hearing that there are some strong winds in the forecast for tomorrow.  I'll have to consider that as I prepare for my ride.  Perhaps another Stone Levitation Ale with dinner tonight to steel myself for the breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment